Monday 30 March 2009

Rhubarb & Ginger Crumble

I love making different types of crumbles and cobbler pies, there are so many variations you can make. My favorite is still my oldest recipe of apple crumble wich I got from my mom many years ago and it never fails to impress, and I think I can go as far as saying that it is my all time favorite dessert but in combination with some vanilla ice cream of course. But back to this recipe, the key ingredient in this recipe is the stem ginger, wich goes really well with all kinds of desserts. You can buy the stem ginger in all the mayor supermarkets now.
1kg rhubarb stalks, cut into 5cm pieces
1tbsp water
4 tbsp caster sugar
1tbsp chopped Preserved stem ginger, in syrup

For the crumble:
100g butter
100g caster sugar
200g plain flour
50g toasted flaked almonds

6 - 8 servings

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Place the rhubarb chunks on a shallow roasting pan, sprinkle with the water and 4 tablespoons of caster sugar. Bake for 10 minutes.

3. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the ginger.

4. Reduce the oven temperature to 190°C.

5. Tip the rhubarb mixture into a baking dish about 4cm deep.

6. To make the crumble, combine the butter, sugar and flour in a bowl. Rub with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

7. Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the rhubarb. Bake for 10 minutes until golden.

8. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve with ice-cream or double cream

2 comments:

Unknown said...

mmm... mér finnst svona líka svo gott með vanilluís:)

Anonymous said...

yummy I love crumbles, especially with strawberries and rhubarb. So you are right on the money on this one.

love Tami